Monday, April 13, 2009

Beige Ninja

This is a post that could go on for days. On so many days, my life is Beige Ninja.

I talked about the concept with professor Davis. She said I should start calling her Louise. I explained about the comedy routine and how I had come to associate the idea of an off-white ninja with the fatal elements of mundane life. She said that it was quite post-modern of me-- to pick an archetype to represent something so unrepresentable.

The Beige Ninja always kills you softly-- it is his softly that kills you. The dull edges of things wearing away at your will. The pastels slowly leeching energy from the cones of your eyes as they strain. The Beige Ninja was never defeated-- he has ruled me more in the past year than ever before. I've been so stable, so good about taking my medicine, so well supported that the Ninja had no trouble creeping in. He's in every internet over-indulgence. The Mean Kitty Videos, the Shopping Cart Game, my insistence on reading every-single F My Life post. Meanwhile, what has happened in the world?

Now, my parents are writing to me about how I need a job. I didn't bother reading those e-mails-- it doesn't do any good. They're just victims of the ninja themselves. The fact of the matter is, I'm still putting my schoolwork first. I still have my priorities in order-- I just let some slip in that didn't belong.

Now, lent is over. The season of discipline is over. Now I need to find some real discipline. Not tonight, though. I have to go celebrate. There is much to be happy about.
The Ninja will have to wait.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your thoughts?